Friday 21 November 2014

Symbolism and Meanings...

Today I'm going to write about something a little different. This post is about symbolism and symbolic meanings of objects that could be very ordinary. 

The definition of symbolic is something that serves as a symbol. I interpret the 'something' as being quite literally anything, be it a CD, a concert ticket or something more meaningful, like a piece of jewellery that could have some sort of spiritual meaning...  I don't really know. 

But I do know we all have something that means an awful lot to us. For me, even though this is stupid, but I think the thing that means lots to me is my collection of band merchandise (CDs, wristbands, t-shirts, tickets, etc.) which is weird, because I'm not really in love with material possessions, however, for me, I think these things mean so much to me because of the memories attached to them. For me, merchandise is a symbol of happy times. 

There are lots of types of symbols: religious, mythical, spiritual, and personal, and I think that everyone has something that can help them to feel better, or just to put them in a certain frame of mind. 

Some people see certain things are symbols of good luck, or other things. Birthstones are one of those things; if you wear the correct birthstone in the correct month (so wear a topaz stone in November) then it can heighten their healing powers. If you wear a Maori fish hook necklace, according to the legend of Maori (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_mythology) , the fish hook represents prosperity and safe passage over water. 
This is my Maori fish hook necklace

I find that myths and legends about certain objects really fascinating (another is the wolf's tooth, all about power and bravery etc.), and it makes you think that not only legends can have meanings and symbols.

We all have something that makes us feel something, and it's just interesting..

This post didn't really have any direction, sorry guys.

- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment