Wednesday 15 July 2015

Straight Edge and Pop Culture...

'Straight edge' is the term for a person who does not smoke, drink or do drugs.. There are obviously exceptions to the last part, like obviously painkillers can be allowed, as can prescription drugs, but the point is, you don't do anything harmful to your body.. 
Being straight edge became a thing because of the old punk shows. Under-aged (e.g. under drinking age) attendees had large 'X's drawn on the backs of their hands, to show the bartender they couldn't drink. It slowly became a rebellion to not drink, or do drugs, because in a way, it was a contradiction of who they were, and it seemed right. Straight edge and punk go hand-in-hand, really. And it's where the logo for straight edge came about - the most common way of showing it is large 'X's tattooed on the backs of hands..


Being straight edge is something I've been thinking about for over a year now, because to me, it just feels right. Alcohol has never appealed to me.. I've had the odd cider or two before, because I do like cider (it's like fizzy apple juice..), I just don't like thinking of the effects on my body. It scares me. 

Another thing is, so many people my age (16, and some are like 14) go out to a field and drink, just to get drunk.. I don't think there is anything classy about that, and the shit that happens afterwards, because someone made out with someone else, or something.. I just don't see the hassle of it all, if I'm perfectly honest.. And it scares me. Some people wake up, after being so drunk that they don't remember what happened the night before. Illnesses like dementia scare me so much, I just couldn't do that to myself. 

Then there is the smoking and drugs. I never want to smoke, I think it is really disgusting, and it makes your clothes smell, too.. Just, ew. And drugs scare the shit out of me.. I've been to some venues that are pretty tight on drugs, and it's the type of place that has barbed wire around the perimeter.. Scary places.. I just hope I never come into contact with drugs.. I never want to harm my body that way.


The reason behind my knowledge of this culture is a man called Patty Walters (from YouTube, and As Is Is). He is a straight edge vegan (XvX) who has large 'X's tattooed across his knees (ouch!). He made a vlog about being straight edge, and I really understand why he is, and I can kind of relate to some of the stuff he says. 

I was browsing Tumblr yesterday, as one does, and found that being straight edge either has the piss taken out of it (people don't understand), or it is seen as a popular statement, as something that is trendy.. I feel that a fair few people are only straight edge as a fashion statement, and not for the right reasons.. I don't know much about it, but people are straight edge if it is the right decision for themselves, not because it's trendy, or anything. 


The reason why I want to be straight edge is because I want to live my life the way I feel is right, and I just don't think I'm the type of person to drink.. I just don't like it. I also like the way you can identify as being straight edge by getting tattoos. If I were to get the 'XX' logo, I'd get it on the inside of my pinky finger on my right hand, because then it's like a promise to myself.. 

I did find these pretty cool straight edge tats on Pinterest, though.. 


Looks kinda hipster to me, though.. 

Stay positive, stay true. 
XxX
- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment