Friday 18 December 2015

Music Rant!!

Chucks featuring bass guitar
Wham, bam!! I've thought of something interesting to write!!

Music. Why do people feel the need to hate on different types of music?!?! I know a fair few alternative people, punks, scene kids, and the like, and a fair few of them will always comment about how terrible modern pop music is. And, no, mate, that's wrong. It's not "terrible" it's just different. You just don't like it. 

You don't have to like everything, and to solve that problem, just don't listen to it!! I like Bring Me the Horizon. I don't like their newest album very much. I don't like new Fall Out Boy. I don't like a lot of things. And I don't go around telling people how rubbish it is, just because I don't like it. Not everyone is going to have the same taste in everything, and that's okay. I completely accept that. 

I used to be pretty stuck up about the fact that I listened to punk music, and I thought I was more free-thinking than everyone else because I explored new music, and a whole new scene. And I fell in love with it. And I was actually quite bitchy about music, and a tad snobby about it. But since then, my music taste has widened even more, and now I will listen to most things, from movie soundtracks to Metallica. I have since accepted that all music is a work of art, whether is has some bloody brilliant guitar riffs, or some pretty gosh-darn snazzy synthesizer work. It's not easy to write music, or lyrics. Everything we do is inspired by something else. 

An example of this is. I am myself. And yet, I am a combination of everyone around me, and the music I listen to. I am the band members that I love. I can't take credit for liking a band first, and people can't be mad at me for jumping on the bandwagon when an artist got popular. 

And so music sounds similar. There are only so many combinations of chords you can create. Nothing is original any more, everything has been done before. So we need to find a new way of doing something old, instead of hating on, and putting down the people who have tried and failed. 
There is also a reason for most pop music sounding the same. Apart from the obvious, it's the style of music, there is an actual reason. Have you ever stopped to think that it's what sells? Record companies and publishers will realise this, and they exploit people to make as much money as possible. As soon as punk music becomes popular again, they will be promoting that as much as they can, and selling as many records as they can. The music industry is an industry and it needs to make money to survive. 

Basically, this leads back to illegal downloading, and even just streaming music. The whole industry cannot survive on pennies. We need to support it, and ranting about how shit music is does not help. Just appreciate that the industry is still going. 

But anyway, back to the whole hating thing. Don't do it. Just appreciate that your taste differs to everyone else's and accept that. You don't have to like everything. 

Okay, rant over. I think. 
If you have any more to add, just comment it below, and we can discuss stuff!!

Bye for now!
- Dottie. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I am glad I inspired it. I still keep my view though but I respect yours.
    EJ ejtheblogger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dude!! And thank you for inspiring the whole thing! Honestly, a lot of my views are from college, as I do a music tech course, so I sort of learn a lot about the whole industry. Everyone has different views, it's cool, man :)

      Delete