Thursday 24 December 2015

We're the New Generation. (I Need a Role Model!!)

Ever been to a punk show, kid? 
Ever listened to punk music? Enter Shikari? The King Blues? There's a common theme in punk music, and it's not just not caring about what people think. That message is that we are the new generation. We are the ones to change this world. 

Adults right now are here to set us up to change this world. Change things for the better. And we cannot see that. 

Yet the punks can. 

There are a few adults, people of a slightly older generation, who are encouraging us to get up, get out of our houses, and yell. Make a band. Write something. Paint something. Find a purpose, find a voice. 

These are the people to look up to. These are the people changing the future for the better, giving us the words and thoughts we need to make a change. The punks and the indies and the ones with the open minds are the ones who are finding a voice, finding a way to make a difference, and show the world that they can shape the future. 

I'm seventeen. I can't vote. I know nothing of my legal system, or how my country is run. Social media is opening my eyes, as is music, and the people around me. I know that something needs to change. I know that it falls to my generation. And it's fucked. We're too busy getting drunk and messing up friendships and relationships to care about what's happening in our own countries, and the ones around us. 

Why is this? Why is our next party more important than a corrupt or bad government? Why is there no one telling us that we need to stand up and make our voices heard?! So many people tell us that they want to hear the voices of the youth, and yet we don't make our voices heard! Instead, we turn up our mass-produced pop music and yell and cuss when something changes and we don't like it. 

We need someone to look up to. We need to turn to those who have large followings on social media, and they need to voice their opinions. Nowadays, its all about aesthetic, and we can't possibly say anything about politics, or taxes, because we can't possibly admit that we are free-thinking humans! (... That was sarcasm, by the way).
Hah, we can't just sit by and let people tell us what we should do!! We think that we have a voice, because we have the Internet, and a Twitter account. We don't. Remember what happened in Paris super-recently? That's all forgotten now, but remember literally everyone tweeting, or changing their Facebook profile photo? Yeah. Know why we did that? Because everyone was doing it. We didn't want to stand out as being different. So many other people die, but we never hear about them, do we?! 

Nah, mate. I don't want to sit by and let the world pass me by. I want my voice to be heard! I need a role model, to show me how to do this. Someone alternative, punk, whatever. People who aren't afraid to show that they have opinions on life, and the news.. I don't even know, man, but I want to look up to someone who is doing all that they can to make a difference! 

This is why I'm thankful for the punk movement. The anger, the music. Because that anger gives people a voice. We protest. We don't sit by idle while the world is being damaged beyond recognition.

We're human beings, guys! We're meant to be intelligent, remember?!

This might have been a tad deep for Christmas Eve, but whatever. I want to start making a difference to the world around me. 


Bye for today! 
- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment