Tuesday 12 January 2016

More Motivation: Don't Be Afraid to Try Something New!!

How many of us won't try something new, for fear of being judged? Maybe you don't want to join the gym, or go to the alternative section of the clothing store.. Why? Because you think all of the super-strong, super-fit people at the gym will laugh at you? Because the more alternative people will shame you for not being as alternative as them? 

Well so what?! The thing is, we all start somewhere, we are all beginners at some point in our lives. Not to be cliche, but you couldn't run before you could walk, right?! Because everyone is bad at something.

I am pretty convinced that I've written something similar to this before, but even if I have, I want to write this one. It'll hopefully be worded better, anyway. 


So, here's the thing.. I have recently started getting into climbing, like indoor rock climbing. And I can do the belaying thing, which, if you don't know, it's the part where you stand on the floor, feeding the rope, and making sure the person climbing doesn't die. (I didn't put does, like I did when trying to explain it to my guy friend from college!) And that bit, I don't mind, I can do it well enough.. The climbing part, however... Well, let's just say I'm not strong, graceful, or the best with heights.. So yeah, basically, I am not the best at climbing. But I enjoy it. And that's what matters!! 

I was actually thinking about this while I was climbing yesterday, but the thing is, you don't have to be good at something to enjoy it. Hmm.. For example, you could be the goddamn worst photographer ever, but if you enjoy it, then you'll be more likely to stick at it, and learn. And then you'll improve! Yay!!

As for the whole fear of being judged.. Yeah, I know that all too well, which is why I no longer go to the gym. Because all of those regulars, the people you look at and think 'wow, why can't I be like them?!' make you feel inadequate. And for what? They were terrible at whatever is is, too. And then they got better. And if people do judge you, well, they've obviously forgotten how they were before they started learning, or whatever. Don't let those elitists stop you from doing whatever the hell you want to. Don't let a single person stop you, or tell you that you can't! 


May I now refer you to a quote from Adventure Time, because apparently I am super childish... 



And so there we are... I hope this helped in some way.. I should be back tomorrow with a well-crafted, artistic post, and I've also got a blogger award post to write.. So yay!!

Bye for now, 

- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment