Tuesday 19 April 2016

Hey You...

Hey you. Yes, you. The one reading this right now. Do me a favour, yeah? Just one little thing. I want you to smile. That is literally all I am asking you to do. Smile. 

It felt good, right? And also possibly stupid, since that little voice in your head told you to do that.. But you smiled. And that is very important. Even if you're having a bad day, there is always one little moment where the dark clouds will shift a little, and a tiny ray of sunshine will appear. And you will smile, or feel a fleeting moment of happiness. 

We all struggle through some pretty tough shit sometimes, I get it, believe me. And we will struggle for what seems an eternity. But we'll make it. Just like we made it every other time we felt as though we couldn't. Because that is what we do. We are fighters, survivors. As a race, the human race, we have survived a hell of a lot. So you can survive this. Whatever it may be. You got it. 

But throughout all of that struggling.. There are still some beautiful moments that take the pain away for a while. 

I am going to give you an example.. I was having a pretty miserable morning today. There was no particular reason behind it, I was just a bit irritated, sad and lonely.. And I do what I always do on a Tuesday morning, and headed to the nearest coffee shop to kill time before college (and drink tea, of course). And for some reason I didn't manage to waste enough time in a coffee shop whilst playing on my phone, so I decided to walk to college quite slowly. 
And I am very glad I made this decision, because this is the result...


Which, okay, literally seems like the most boring photo ever.. And you would be right, it is. A couple of cars, some old warehouses by a boat harbour/dock place.. However the photo isn't the important part. What matters is that I smiled for the first time today when I took that photo, and I was able to walk into class as a happy person, because I'd taken the time to just be on my own and have a gentle stroll into college. 

I think we all get too caught up in our stresses and worries, which is of course understandable and it happens to the best of us, but we need to take some time out to just relax. I understand also that what I'm saying seems like such an easy thing, but that so many people really don't have much time in their day to chill out and watch a few episodes of a TV series on Netflix each evening. 

This is where the little moment of happiness comes in. At the end of each day, reflect. Accept that, yes, maybe it was a sad day, but there was a small moment that made it less so. And that moment is the one that you need to hold on to. 

I hope this made some sort of sense, and you enjoyed reading what I had to write!

Thanks again, 

Dottie. 

1 comment:

  1. You're so right! I totally agree with dwelling on those little moments that make the day worth it. Have you ever seen the movie About Time? If not, you need to, because I think you would really love it! It sort of sums up that whole live-in-the-moment-and-enjoy-it-no-matter-what ethos. I've been trying to be more thankful lately, and accepting that each day I'm alive is a day the Lord made for me. I love the picture too, btw. :) I went to the park yesterday and just stared at the sky and it was a smiling-to-myself kind of moment. Great post chica!

    ReplyDelete