Tuesday 12 July 2016

My Summer Reading List

If anyone out there is anything like me, and is obsessed with books, and reading, then you'll know how exciting it is that it's now summer! Because do you know what that means?! Yes, it means I can curl up in various places in my house and garden (including in a bubble bath...) and spend hours getting lost in a book. 

I love reading. It's such a wonderful thing to escape to another place, and to be inside someone else's head for a little while, especially if you're struggling with worries and concerns with your life. I mean, that's definitely not the right way to deal with things such as that, but it means I don't spend hours fretting and getting worked up and ending up in tears.. 
Anyway, I have a few books to read this summer, having borrowed some off my boyfriend, and recently purchased a few new ones (yay!). I thought it would be a nice thing to share these with you, and at some point, let you all know how I got on with them. 
Firstly, I purchased (and read!) How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran, which I picked up in a bookstore, and put back down as I didn't have the money to splash out at the time.. (Since when were books £9.00 each?!) I read this over the weekend, from Saturday evening, to about an hour ago.. It was what I would call an 'easy read'; there is only one story line, following the main character and her adventures.. It's set in the '90s, and is very based around music, and the 'coming of age' of a teenage girl. I don't really have an opinion on this book. I can't say it was bad, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I have others.. I just kind of read it.. 

Next, I have borrowed (since May!) A Game of Thrones (the first in the Song of Ice and Fire series) from my boyfriend. Apparently it's very good, and I am definitely wanting to jump on the hype train, and see what it's all about. I am going to start this one before I sleep tonight. Yippee!
If anyone didn't know, I quite enjoy Dan Brown's books. I have read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, and Digital Fortress, and while these are all more complex books with multiple story lines, I enjoyed them, so decided to pick up his latest (well.. 2013) novel, Inferno. I've heard good things about this, and it is based loosely around Dante's Inferno, so I'm excited to read it!
Finally, the last new book I've purchased is Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All, by Jonas Jonasson. I've not read any of his novels before, but I've seen them around, and been intrigued. This was released in late 2015, and just the word 'hitman' was enough to spark my interest and get me to purchase it. 

Other than these novels already stated, I intend to read the Inheritance Cycle, which Emma has been on at me to read for so long. I really have wanted to read it, but I've struggled to get into the second one, Eldest. The fact that the pages are red does not capture my interest and force me to read it.. I lose interest. Sorry. I will try. 

By this point, I will have read seven (pretty hefty) books, and it will probably be at least October, if not later.. 

I will keep updating this book list, and possibly write mini reviews as I finish novels. 

Let me know what you're reading, I'd love suggestions!
Dottie x

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog! Thank you for writing it. I am reading the Chronicles of Narnia and really enjoying it at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely another series to add to my list! So many books to read, hahah! x

      Delete
  2. These books look good! Reading is so much fun. I myself need to pick up some more books.

    ReplyDelete