Thursday 15 September 2016

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time REVIEW

Hello!!

I mentioned in my book haul post (which you can read by clicking here) that I had purchased and was reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.
I have to start off this review by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; it's written in a similar 'voice' to that of The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky, which is one of my favourite books. So, obviously, it correlates that a book that reads similarly is going to be something that I enjoy. 

The main character and narrator is fifteen-year-old Christopher Boone, who is taking A Level Maths, and has Asperger's, which is a form of autism. This book isn't a coming of age story, it's a mystery novel with a twist, which I must tell you, I really wasn't expecting.
The way that the story is written shows that the author has a really great understanding of those who see things differently, and it is incredibly insightful to read this. 

The Curious Incident is written in such a way that you cannot put it down, each chapter ends in a way that leaves you wanting to know more, and more of the story. Furthermore, it's what I would call an 'easy read', which means that there's no complex character backstories, and only one story line to follow, so it's perfect to read whilst relaxing. 

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Paper Towns, Looking For Alaska, or We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. It's definitely more of a young adult/teen fiction story, but I believe it has been studied in schools for GCSEs, so make of that what you will. 

I think the story is well-written and enjoyable, and it is definitely entertaining. Some parts are funny, some are sad, and some are a tad strange, but that all adds to the charm of it. 

It is a must-read!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this review, I hope you enjoyed it!
Let me know if I should write more of these!


- Dottie x

No comments:

Post a Comment