Thursday 10 November 2016

Why It's OKAY For You to Hate Your First Job

Hey guys! I think I've spoken before on this blog about my first job, but if you're new here, then I'll give you a quick explanation of what went down there... 

I was sixteen, and it was a few months before I started my GCSE exams. I worked in the cafe of a busy tourist attraction, and I won't lie to you guys - I hated it with a passion. I felt anxious the evening before I had to go in, and the next morning, I wouldn't be able to eat due to being so worried. I just felt like I wasn't ready to be in the working world, and I didn't have very good people skills. I worked from 9am to 5pm, with about a twenty minute break for food. I had to run about all day, checking tables were clear, washing up (a lot!), and serving customers. It was stressful, but if I were to go back now, I think I'd be okay at it. 

You see, when I had that job, I was still very much a shy, socially awkward child. I just wasn't ready for that amount of responsibility. 

Now, if you're still reading this, you're either one of my fabulous best friends, or avid readers (I know there's a couple of you, and I love you!!), or you aren't a fan of your job and want to know what I think about that. So, here goes...

I think it's perfectly okay to hate your first job because, well, it's your first job. You haven't worked before, you don't understand how to be in this new environment. That's perfectly fine, we all need to start somewhere. For some of you, much like it was for me, perhaps you aren't ready to be in this adult world where too much is expected of you, and you're struggling. I understand, and these feelings are perfectly valid. 

My current job is as a cleaner for a high-end holiday company, and a lot is expected of me, and the team I work with. After my second shift at this job, I was totally ready to quit - I felt as though I could never achieve what they expected me to. But. I kept at it. Now, I'm actually pretty good at it, and I can damn well clean a bathroom good! 
Sometimes, all it takes is a little bit of time to get used to your job, before you decide that you like it. If this is the reason you're not enjoying your job, give it some time and allow yourself to get used to it. 

I know a lot of people that didn't like their first job, or perhaps their first proper job (as some people get temp jobs...), so if you're out there, hating your workplace, just remember that you're not alone!
This job that you're working isn't permanent, it's not where you're going to be in five, or ten years time. It's only one job, and you will have so, so many others. Some, you may hate more, others you might love, and that's perfectly fine, but I promise you that it can, and will get better. 


The working world is a big, scary place, and you're still young. You have plenty of time to figure it out, and I know you will. 

Good luck to all of you out there, and I hope you're having a lovely day. 

- Dottie. x

(Image credit goes to Laura Simms, and the original can be found by clicking here). 

No comments:

Post a Comment