Monday 6 March 2017

Why I Don't Wear Makeup Everyday...

Makeup is fun, I'll give you that. I love going to stores and looking at new lipstick shades and buying new eye shadow palettes. I find so much joy in transforming my face into one that looks so perfect, and so different. 
Not many foundations I've tried will cover my lil spot scars

I used to do this every single day before work and before college and even before going to watch a few movies with my boyfriend. I kind of reached the point where it wasn't fun anymore, it was something that I felt I had to do, to be pretty, to be noticed, to be worthy of the love of my boyfriend. It makes no sense, I know, but I had to put makeup on, even if it meant I didn't eat that morning. It made it worse that I'd get home after a long day and just not bother to properly remove my makeup and treat my skin. 

It took a few months of this before I realised what I was doing to my skin, I was covering spots and just making my skin worse, and hating it. So I stopped spending on makeup, and invested in some good skincare products instead. (Look out for a post featuring these!). My cheeks are dotted with little acne scars from where I picked at my spots, and I occasionally get the odd blackhead from when my pores were so clogged up with foundation, but I've come to love this face of mine. 

I have started to choose sleep and breakfast over foundation, cared-for skin over perfect eyeliner. I feel much better for it, and all of those negative thoughts and feelings surrounding makeup have completely vanished now. 

Sometimes you've got to do things like this, for your mental health, for your body's health. It's the same as taking time out from a busy schedule. It's no big deal, and you're still you at the end of the day. 

But we're only human, and we have to make the correct choices for us. 

I am able to enjoy wearing makeup and dressing up now, much more than I did before. I get a sense of pride now when I look at my made-up self, because I went to the effort to look nice. And I can actually look like I've made an effort for events, etc. now! Which is quite fun! 😁 (I just discovered the emoji thing, it's quite cute!) 

So there we have it... Look after your faces folks, your skin will thank you for it!! 

- Dottie x

No comments:

Post a Comment